Sunday, 20 November 2011

Cupboard Love - Lemon Meringue Icecream

Much as sheer greed fuels my urge to cook, I can’t deny the thrill when someone I’ve fed enjoys what I’ve made them.

I lean towards savoury and salty over sweet, but my boyfriend and flatmate love their sugar.  Wanting to crowd-please and also extend my repertoire I’ve been keeping my eye out for cake and dessert recipes that give me something new to cook and I think they’ll like.


I’ve recently become aware of the possibilities of ice-cream: not merely the realm of vanilla, strawberry or chocolate. Not that they’re bad, but reading about the sexy grown-up flavours of stem ginger or salted caramel to name a few…Chilli dark chocolate...  Of course this was all hypothetical as most of these recipes become redundant without an ice-cream maker.  I could do the whole whisking on the hour for a bout 7 hours but to be honest, I have better things to do. 

So, when I came across an ice-cream recipe not only didn’t require an ice-cream maker but appealed to both the man and myself, I got cracking on a small ‘tester’ portion.

Gosh. I liked it and he bloody loved it, giving me that warm fuzzy feeling of pride.  I do thrive on praise.  I was begged to make more, more and more.  I’ve made about a four batches in the last two months.  Each batch is over a litre and once I doubled the recipe to fill a large baking tray.  That’s a helluvalot of double cream.  Needless to say, this was a success.  

 Nigella Lawson’s ‘Lemon Meringue Ice-cream’ from her ‘How To Eat’ book is insanely easy, specially if you go down the shop bought meringues and lemon curd route as I have.  The hard work is the whisking (and only because I don’t have an electric whisk).  

1)     600 ml double cream
2)     3 unwaxed lemons, zest of 2, juice of three (or to taste)
3)     6 meringue nests
4)     225g Greek yoghurt
5)     320g lemon curd


Whisk the cream to firm peaks.   Fold in the greek yoghurt.  Mix the lemon curd with the lemon juice and zest (this makes it easier to mix into the cream and yoghurt), then fold in.

Crumble the meringues into fairly small pieces (you don’t want it to disintegrate) and fold in.  Taste it and adjust the tartness to suit you – more lemon curd or meringue if too sour, more lemon juice if too sweet.

Pour into a shallow container, cover and place in the freezer for a couple of hours till set.  Alex is too impatient to wait for it to soften before tucking in, I reckon about 5-10 minutes before eating is enough.  




No comments:

Post a Comment